Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Banaras...

I left Lucknow with tearful eyes in the decorated car as it zoomed through the highway to take me to my new home. I was totally lost in amalgam of deep thoughts – sad ones of having left my parents house; excited ones for new aspirations; lots of curiosity but a strong sense of satisfaction of having married my first love. Was pondering on each of them carefully when the car sped down and we entered ‘Banaras’ – my new home!




The city at once caught my attention and I smiled with excitement. He, all swollen with pride, gauged my feelings and pressed my hand. And why not! It’s his city after all :P


T’was early in the morning but the city was already very awake, abuzz with lots of activities going around. The road was being swept, shopkeepers were already in the shops – one could experience the aroma of garam chai, samosas, jalebis & puris being deep fried as we went ahead in the city of lanes. At every twenty steps, there’s a temple….no matter how small. Mostly people were walking or riding cycles & rickshaws. Men, women, old and young – carrying flower baskets and puja thalis adorned with earthen lamps and incense sticks, sadhus in the saffron attire

…few in minimal clothing, walking barefoot even in that chilly winter!

As per tradition, we were taken to a Goddess' temple to seek blessing. The car stopped and hey! I could see the holy Ganga flowing at a distance. We had to walk a little before we could reach the actual Ghats. The rush was increasing. Hawkers selling flowers, vermillion, sweets...different groups of people singing bhajans in the praise of the lord...beggars thronging the passer bys and people going to work. Daily thousands of local as well as tourists from all over the world take dip ‘n’ blessing in the holy river – Be it a new born child, a newlywed or even the dead!!! And the river welcomes all – life, love & death with open arms.


We came down the flight of stairs on the Ghat and performed puja. The tinkling of the bells and fragrance of incense filled me as I clasped my fingers, bowed my head and prayed for a lasting relationship with my husband, his family and this divine city.


Some days later I witnessed the evening sight as light of earthen lamps (diyas) lit the ghats and the arti performed made it all the more enchanting as the sun set down.


The cheerful and sacred streets that imbibe culture & religiousness even in an atheist - that’s mystic city of Banaras for you!













PS: Getty images - source Google.com


2 comments:

  1. Din't know Gaurav is from Benaras....its my native place :-) Felt so nostalgic reading your post.
    I too wrote something about it...tell me how much of it you have already experienced?
    http://myownmemoirs.blogspot.com/2009/04/mystic-banaras.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.....I dint know that...lemme see what you wrote....shall get back soon.

    ReplyDelete